Journey with me as I ever so slowly attempt to run 50 races in 50 states by the time I am 50...

Friday, May 20, 2011

The long and the short of it

This may be the most difficult post I've written on this blog, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe because I am having a hard time capturing my experience running the Pittsburgh Marathon in a deep, meaningful, witty, clever, or even snarky way. There are no great stories and yet it was much more than just another race. Talking on the phone with a friend the other day, I stated my difficulty expressing the experience and he asked me what color it was. Nice question! Green, I said. The marathon was green. So there you have it. Isn't that all you need to know? :)

I think I'm also having difficulty putting it into words because I put so many into my first. But of course, this one was different.

The first time, I trained primarily alone, though with much support. This time, I ran almost every single training run with at least one good friend.

The first time, I ran in a place I had never been. This time, I ran through the hallowed streets of the city I have come to know and love so well.

The first time, I just wanted to finish. This time, I wanted to meet a time goal.

The first time, it was all about accomplishing something I wasn't sure I could do. This time it was about having fun and seeing if I could, at the same time, accomplish something I thought I could do.

I ran with confidence, with friends, with my father, past my mother, with a feeling of deep love for the twists and turns, rises and falls of this great city, getting high fives from neighbors for encouragement, joking with other runners and bystanders, listening to the sounds of local bands and choirs, drinking it all in (even a little beer! - see "adding hops to the race"- yup I was one of the "interested few") one step at a time.

I didn't add a state to 50 in 50 by 50, but I added a great milestone to my running experiences. I am thankful. Always thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment