Journey with me as I ever so slowly attempt to run 50 races in 50 states by the time I am 50...

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Taste of Community

Cheyenne, Wyoming: Race for the Cure- August 8, 2009




My 6th race (4th one with Chrissy) was in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Chrissy and I drove up the night before to spend a night in a hotel so we wouldn't have to leave at 4 or 5am. Completely worth it since we got room service and watched episodes of Sex and the City- both great pre-race activities!




The race was pretty good-- nothing too noteworthy and our times were fairly average ( for me). However, the one thing that stood out as we prepared to race was how cool it was to be part of something in each city or town we traveled to. We decided that running a race in each state is a great way to temporarily be part of the life and community of that state. People are sharing something as they run together. There is encouragement, a likemindedness, and a shared sense of exitement in each race. You get to see the people and experience the flavor of the town. You participate, if only briefly, in the lives of those around you. And I think that is a much better souvenior from my travels than a shotglass or a christmas ornament.

No comments:

Post a Comment